Do an apprenticeship or traineeship
Typing out a word will show suggestions automatically below

Do an apprenticeship or traineeship

Help & advice

  • To start an apprenticeship or traineeship, you need to find one and apply for it.
  • You earn a wage while you do one.
  • When you finish, you get a nationally recognised qualification.
  • There are a number of organisations that can help you find one.
  • You can do one in your senior years at high school.

Apprenticeships and traineeships are a great way to learn while you're working. You learn how to do a specific job or trade in a real workplace while studying at a TAFE or other training provider.

You can start one at any stage in your career or life.

Completing an apprenticeship or traineeship gives you a nationally recognised qualification. You can use your qualification to start your career or to do more training. An apprenticeship or traineeship can also lead to self-employment opportunities.

You earn a wage while you train, and you can do one part-time or full-time. You may even be eligible for financial assistance from the government while you're training.

For more information, including the difference between an apprenticeship and a traineeship, see What an apprenticeship or traineeship involves on the Victorian Department of Education and Training website.

Pre-apprenticeships and VET

Before you do an apprenticeship, you might want to consider doing:

How to get an apprenticeship

  1. Find an apprenticeship with an employer.
  2. Apply for the apprenticeship (the same way you would apply for a job).
  3. You and your employer find a TAFE or training provider that offers the relevant course.
  4. Your employer registers you with an approved Apprenticeship Network Provider (ANP) and an ANP representative then organises a training contract between you and your employer.
  5. ANP registers your training contract on the apprenticeship database (called DELTA) and you’re given a unique student number (this may take up to 4 weeks).
  6. Once your training provider has received your number, they consult with you and your employer to develop a training plan. Once you've developed and signed the training plan, you can start your training.

For more about apprenticeships and how to find one, see Australian Apprenticeships Pathways.

Find an apprenticeship

You can look for an apprenticeship or traineeship the same way you would look for a job, by searching online or registering with an employment agency.

If you're at school, TAFE or university, your careers practitioner might be able to help you find one.

You can also contact one of the following organisations for help with finding an apprenticeship.

Skills and Jobs Centres

Skills and Jobs Centres are at all Victorian TAFEs and universities that deliver vocational education and training.

They help current and prospective students, job seekers and employers with career advice and choosing courses, including apprenticeships and traineeships.

You don't have to be a student at a TAFE or university to visit a Skills and Jobs Centre.

Apprenticeship Network Provider (ANP)

Apprenticeship Network Providers are contracted by the Australian Government to provide free support services to apprentices and employers, including job-matching.

Find my Apprenticeship Network Provider can help you find your nearest provider.

Group Training Organisations (GTOs)

GTOs employ apprentices and trainees, and place them with host employers. They organise the training contract, and then arrange or deliver the training you need for your apprenticeship.

To find your nearest GTO, see Australian Apprenticeships - Find a group training organisation.

Victorian Government

The Victorian Government arranges apprenticeships and traineeships within government organisations, including hospitals, the Country Fire Authority (CFA) and government departments and agencies.

See Careers Vic and Victorian Government Jobs and Careers.

Australian Defence Force

You can do an apprenticeship through the Australian Navy, Army or Air Force. Before signing up, get all the facts on what you're committing to, including the time, obligations and responsibilities of joining the armed forces.

See Defence Jobs for more information.

Your current employer

Your current employer may be willing to train you as an apprentice or trainee to give you new skills or train to you to take on new responsibilities.

You and your employer will need to choose a training provider and agree on a training plan. Your employer can contact an Apprenticeship Network Provider for information.

Disability Employment Services

If you have a disability, Disability Employment Services (DES) can help you to find an apprenticeship in your area.

You and your employer may be eligible for additional support from the Australian Government. See Support for Australian Apprentices with disability

Find courses for apprenticeships on the Victorian Skills Gateway

Use the course search to find a course for your apprenticeship.

Search for the occupation you've chosen, for example, plumber, then filter by 'apprenticeship or traineeship' to see courses you can do for your apprenticeship.

Or you can use the Occupation Explorer to find occupations you can do when you finish an apprenticeship.

Choose the industry you're interested in, for example, construction, and filter by 'apprenticeship or traineeship'.

Apprenticeships for school students

You can do an apprenticeship or traineeship while you're at school. The minimum age for starting one is 15.

If you're interested, the first step is to talk to your school careers teacher or counsellor.

School Based Apprenticeship or Traineeship (SBAT)

You can do an apprenticeship or traineeship as part of your senior years at high school. This involves spending time in three places: at school, with your employer, and at TAFE.

You need to be enrolled in VCE or VCAL and have a registered training plan.

When you do a SBAT, you get credit towards your VCE or VCAL. When you finish, you get a qualification for your apprenticeship or traineeship as well as your VCE or VCAL.

For more information, see Apprenticeships for secondary students on the Victorian Department of Education and Training website.